Healthy Hair with L’Oreal Elvive

*Disclaimer, I did receive this item for free for review and testing purposes from Influenster. All opinions are my own. See my disclaimer for more*

I get a lot of questions about my hair all the time! My hair has come a long way and I still have a ways to go. Family, friends, my readers, etc., always ask me what is it that I do with my hair and what is my hair care routine. As of lately, I have been slacking with washing my hair on a regular basis, and doing regular treatments but I am human and we do tend to get a little inconsistent.

Wash Routine

This may be a shock to most, especially in the natural hair community because normally you’re supposed to wash your hair once a week. But I wash my hair once a month! Yes, once a month I will do a deep cleansing on my hair. In the past I have tried washing my hair once a week, or once every two weeks, but I noticed that doesn’t work for me and it dried out my hair. So I transitioned over to washing my hair once a month and my hair has been the healthiest it has ever been. Depending on certain styles for example, if I use a lot of product or gel, I will wash my hair with a cleansing conditioner, not a shampoo.

Treatments

I always like to make sure I’m consistent with getting consistent trims every 4 to 6 weeks. I will do these trims at home. It’s super easy but if you have never cut your own hair, I suggest seeing a stylist. When I cut my own hair at home, it’s usually just a light dusting of my ends. If I need a little bit more cut off, then I’ll go see my stylist. Cutting my own hair at home has saved me a ton of money. Also, I hair has been through a lot and I just have learned how to take care of my hair on my own.

Deep conditioning plays a huge part in my hair care routine, since I do wash my hair once a month, I have to make sure I’m deep conditioning. I have very thick and coarse hair, so I make sure I leave my deep conditioner in my hair for a least an hour.

After I rinse out the deep conditioning treatment, I like to add a leave in. The leave in I have been using is the L’oreal Elvive Protein Recharge Almond + Protein Leave in Conditioner. This leave in conditioner is perfect for damaged hair. Not to say that I have damaged hair, but I do apply heat, brush and comb my hair daily, and my hair is colored. This leave in conditioner is formulated to help increase the strength of your hair and protect against daily damage. After using this, my hair felt so amazing! It was easy to manage and it smells good! Using this leave in conditioner was a good step to prep my hair before applying heat.

Styling

Since we are in the colder months, I do tend to apply more heat. I flat ironed my hair as usual and I always make sure to apply a heat protectant and I like to use the Aphogee Green Tea and Keratin Restructurizer.

When applying heat, I like to keep it at 370 degrees. That’s a healthy temperature for my hair and it works for me. To maintain my straight hair, I’ll add Flexi rod rollers.

That’s it for my hair care routine! Also, one important factor to healthy hair is to make sure you’re drinking a ton of water and eating healthy! Healthy hair starts within!

Shop my favorite haircare products!

What’s your haircare routine? Let’s talk in the comments!

1. February 21, 2018 / 2:04 am

Your hair looks great! That’s amazing that you wash it once a month. OMG!! Love it!

2. February 21, 2018 / 5:36 am

You look so gorgeous here! Thanks for sharing this hair secret. Will definitely try this also. Thanks for sharing this.

3. February 21, 2018 / 7:03 am

Your hair does look great! It looks so shiny and healthy!

4. February 21, 2018 / 12:51 pm

I am all for washing my hair less!

5. February 21, 2018 / 3:42 pm

In my case it’s the other way around. When I don’t wash my hair, they get really dry. But i usually go for 2 weeks before washing my hair when they are straightened and every other day when I go natUral

6. February 21, 2018 / 4:47 pm

wow! washing only once a month sounds surreal to me! yet your hair is absolute proof it is possible and it is beautiful!

7. February 21, 2018 / 6:32 pm

Thanks for sharing your routine! There are always good things to pick up from other people xoxo

8. February 21, 2018 / 8:27 pm

Sounds like an amazing system! That L’Oreal hair treatment sounds awesome!

9. February 21, 2018 / 9:16 pm

It is incredible the work that some people have to put into their hair. If I want mine to look half-decent there is a lot involved since it is VERY flat and thin. But I am fortunate to not have to use this many products. We really have no idea what goes into peoples’ appearances. My big problem zone is my skin, I have rosacea or something and it is difficult to hide at times. That being said, glad you found this combination helpful to achieve your desired look.

10. February 21, 2018 / 11:11 pm

Wow! Once a month? I know black hair shouldn’t be washed every day but I am not able to go that long. I can go up to two weeks but I’ve found that my hair does best if I wash once a week. I definitely have to keep it moisturized so it doesn’t become brittle and break off.

11. February 22, 2018 / 7:37 am

What a routine! I hear you though. I actually used to wash my hair every single day…and it was so dry and would get unhealthy quickly. So a few years ago I started washing it maybe once or twice a week. My hair has been so much healthier since then! I’m glad a switched it up. I still only get it cut, like, once a year…gotta work on that next.

12. Agnes Vazhure
    February 22, 2018 / 2:03 pm

Your hair looks so great and I really like your hairstyle. l’oreal product is one of my favorite hair care regimen too!!

13. Elizabeth O
    February 22, 2018 / 2:53 pm

Loreal is a go to brand for me, I really like their shampoos and I find it works well with my hair. You provided a great routine here to follow

14. February 22, 2018 / 4:02 pm

My comment just vanished.. You always have beautiful hair, you can tell it is well cared for.
    I always find mine so hair to manage so I may look into the Elvive range!

15. Esme Sy
    February 22, 2018 / 4:27 pm

Now that looks professionally healthy! L’Oreal has never really let me down, and I’m sure my hair would feel the same with their new products.

16. February 22, 2018 / 4:34 pm

I hate washing my hair lol … I should say i hate doing it on my own. It never comes out the way i want it to. I need to take better care of my hair though. Awesome post.

17. February 22, 2018 / 6:23 pm

You have such a gorgeous hair, I need to try some of their products!

18. February 22, 2018 / 6:40 pm

It is always nice to have great looking hair. I have to watch mine, as I swim alot so I have to keep an eye on the damage x

19. February 22, 2018 / 8:20 pm

You look amazing, your hair looks so healthy and beautiful. Your hair care routine sounds so good. I need to be regular with deep conditioning my hair as I do tend to forget about it.

20. February 22, 2018 / 8:35 pm

I’ve never thought about reducing my hair washing to once a month, although it would make sense since frequent washing dries out hair particles. The protein recharge would certainly rehydrate and help maintain hair to keep it healthy, healthy, healthy. =)

21. February 23, 2018 / 1:39 am

I am not aware of this product for L’Oreal. So glad it works really well for your routine. I love how hydrated and healthy your hair looks and it’s good that you’re applying a heat protectant as well.

22. February 23, 2018 / 9:52 am

Right from hair color to shampoo to conditioner, I always use Loreal hair care products. I talk to their experts too for the right product suiting my hair.
    Love your glossy hair and your hairstyle.

23. February 23, 2018 / 11:15 am

Amazing! Your hair looks brilliant, you’ve got this nailed!!

24. February 25, 2018 / 5:44 am

Your hair looks really healthy! I am a natural also, but keep my hair in protective styles. Thanks for sharing your hair care routine!

• thelifewithnicole
      February 25, 2018 / 1:16 pm

I love protected styles in the spring and summer!

25. Stephanie Caligiuri
    March 6, 2018 / 6:05 pm

You look gorgeous & your hair looks so healthy! Going to check out these products!