HOW TO PREPARE FOR A BLOGGER SHOOT

This post is going to be for my fellow bloggers! In my almost two years of blogging, I have learned a lot and I’m still learning to get more organized when it comes to shooting for the blog.  If you’re reading this and you’re a blogger, please leave me some of your organizational tips! Ya girl needs it LOL.

Since I work in the corporate world full time and blog full time, I don’t shoot everyday. It would be nice to, but it’s not realistic. I spend most of my weekends shooting and it can be a very long process. I rather shoot a bunch of looks in a couple of days. It helps with organization for your editorial calendar. Sometimes I work with photographers but most of the time, I shoot my own photos or ask friends and family to help. When you’re a blogger (the face of your brand) you are the stylist, creative director, hair/makeup and model.

Before The Shoot

1.) Outfit Prep

Besides scouting locations and coordinating with my photographer, outfit prep is one of the things that I have to have prepared in advance. I like to go to Pinterest to find inspiration, try on the looks before hand and source product if I need to. Back when I first started blogging, I planned to shoot with a friend and I was sooo not organized when it came to my outfits. I was running around town trying to find last minute accessories before the shoot and it was not a good way to start the shoot day.

2.) Location Scouting

I’m always searching for new areas to shoot in! When I have a shoot planned, I like to search through different neighborhoods and landmarks in town. Location scouting helps me to prepare and plan which times are the best to shoot in that area. If I want to shoot in Midtown Atlanta, I know I have to shoot in the morning because it’s less crowds.

3.) Create a Shot List

Once you have an idea on the location(s) and outfits, it’s time to create a shot list. Write out a list of the shots that you need. This also helps when you are working on sponsored content, especially when they have specific guidelines. This keeps the day running smoothly and organized. If I’m shooting with a photographer, it’s best to email or print them a copy. That way you guys are on the same page as far as the vision is concerned.

4.) Prop Prep

Just like outfit prep, if you’re going to utilize props make sure you include that in your planning process. If you’re shooting sponsored content, the brand may send you some items to include in the photos. If you need to source items, this is the time to do that as well!

Night Before the Shoot

1.) Steam/Iron clothes

Prep your clothing the night before by steaming and ironing if needed. You do not want to do this the day of the shoot. That time can go towards something else. As soon as I steam and iron my clothes, I immediately place them on hangers and hang them on a clothing rack.

2.) Pack

This is my least favorite thing to do but it has to get done. The night before, I will pack up my car with the necessary items needed. When packing, make sure you have the proper undergarments as well! Some clothing pieces require strapless bras, thongs, or nipple covers. Having these items on hand are important!  Place clothes in hanging bags and hang them in the car. Doing this the morning of your shoot after hair and makeup is not fun! You do not want to sweat and get a cardio workout in trying to pack your car the day of your shoot.

On Set Essentials

1.) Makeup Bag

2.) Lint Roller

3.) Moisturizer/lotion

4.) Water/Snacks (I cannot live with out my snacks hehe)

1. July 30, 2018 / 6:39 pm

These are some great tips! Recently I’ve been bringing my water bottle and it’s helped so much. Now I should bring some snacks! Taking photos seems to be an all-day event haha!

2. July 30, 2018 / 8:35 pm

Sounds like you are so organized with your blogging and photoshoot preparation! I need to be more organized when it comes to my photoshoot and reading this post has gave me a better idea now how to be more organized. Thanks for this post❤️

3. July 30, 2018 / 8:36 pm

Sounds like you are so organized with your blogging and photoshoot preparation! I need to be more organized when it comes to my photoshoot, I am so bad with it sometimes! Thank you for sharing these tips and it is helpful❤️

4. July 31, 2018 / 2:57 am

You nailed this post! Prepping for a shoot takes hours!

5. July 31, 2018 / 5:39 am

These are awesome tips for preparing for a shoot! Love that you bring snacks along!!

6. July 31, 2018 / 12:48 pm

Great tips! I definitely send my photographer poses before hand!

7. July 31, 2018 / 1:55 pm

omg – the steaming is SO important! i see so many blogger posts with clothes that look straight out of the package. bugs me so much!

8. Tonya Tardiff
    July 31, 2018 / 2:01 pm

This is so spot on! I also love shooting all of my outfits in one day. You’re right it makes it so much easier!

9. July 31, 2018 / 2:07 pm

It sounds like your process is similar to mine! My blog isn’t my primary source of income either (I work in politics) so I use my weekends to get all blog work done. My photographer is my boyfriend though so sometimes we’re able to snap a few photos during the week

July 31, 2018 / 3:24 pm

These are definitely all things I do to prepare for my shoots. I spend a significant amount of time scouting locations because I try to keep my Instagram feed cohesive and want my outfits to pair well with the spots I’ve chosen! Then I become the crazy bag lady when I pack. All my accessories in one bag, shoes in another, purses in yet another, and all my clothing on hangers haha! It’s so entertaining to anyone watching me haul it all around, I’m sure!

11. Mary Powers
    August 1, 2018 / 12:44 pm

Love this post, girl!! Most people have no idea how much work goes into shooting!! I definitely need to get more organized with my shoots. Makes it so much easier when it’s all worked out beforehand!

– Mary

12. adriana
    August 1, 2018 / 2:39 pm

Such great tips! Having a list and clothes ready to go are definitely helpful. Love your shirt too!

13. sharon wu
    August 2, 2018 / 5:52 am

i literally follow all these steps as i prepare for my blogger shoots lol in fact i am about to do all the prepping that i can before i go to bed so that first thing in the morning i can get up and go before the heat totally sets in. great tips babe!

14. August 2, 2018 / 8:49 pm

Ha ha, funny I just wrote on this topic today! You look so beautiful hun! xo, Suzanne